PAN-Aadhaar Link Fees: The Income Tax Department has urged all PAN card holders to link their PAN with Aadhaar to ensure financial security and prevent fraud. The deadline for this process has been extended multiple times.
The new deadline to link PAN with Aadhaar is June 30th. It is advised that PAN card holders should not delay and complete the process as soon as possible by paying the fees online.
Why is it important to link PAN with Aadhaar?
As per the Income Tax Act of 1961, the Income Tax Department has made it mandatory for all PAN card holders (excluding those in exempted categories) to link their PAN number with Aadhaar before June 30, 2023. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of PAN from July 1, 2023, under Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act.
Has the fee for PAN linking been increased?
Initially, the process of linking PAN with Aadhaar was free until July 1, 2022. Subsequently, a reduced fee of Rs. 500 was implemented for PAN linking until June 30, 2022. However, the deadline was extended until March 31, 2023, and a late fee of Rs. 1,000 was charged for PAN linking during this period. The current deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar is June 30, 2023, and there has been no increase in the fees this time.
How can the PAN linking fee be paid?
The Income Tax Department has fixed the fee for linking PAN with Aadhaar at Rs. 1,000. The fee can be paid through the online mode.
- To initiate the request for linking PAN with Aadhaar, users need to visit either the https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp or NSDL portal.
- Click on “PROCEED” under “CHALLAN NO./ITNS 280” to submit the PAN-Aadhaar linking request.
- Select the applicable tax type.
- Ensure to pay the fee of Rs. 1,000 (including the fee) in a single challan.
- Choose the mode of payment, either Net Banking or Debit Card.
- Enter the PAN number, select the relevant assessment year, and provide the address details.
- Fill in the captcha code and click on “PROCEED.”
- Once the payment is successfully completed, the taxpayer can proceed to link PAN with Aadhaar.